Thursday, October 30, 2008

cheaters suck all around but so do MMOs

OK, I'm a little bit of a hater when it comes to MMOs. I personally prefer to do my interacting with other humans in person and like my gaming time to be MY gaming time. The closest thing I come to a game with online interaction is SPORE, which only uses other user's content, rather than having you actually interact with them. I tried SecondLife for about 5 minutes before realizing that it sucks hardcore. We've all seen the South Park episode where the boys play WarCraft and I think it perfectly sums it up: you play, get frustrated by some loser who spends all his or her time playing and getting better than you, so then you just end up being as big a loser as the original dick who got you pissed in the first place. I dunno, I'm sure people enjoy them. I mean, obviously, people are willing to actually spend monthly money on this stuff. MONTHLY! Craziness.

Anyway that was a long and rambling intro to an interesting article from Game Informer about cheating in MMOs and what the game's developers try to do to prevent it happening (article link below). This article outlines for me exactly why I like my one-player games in my own non-MMO world. I like to be the most awesome one in my games, not some jerk who I have to see all the time when playing! Also, there are so many mean and stupid things done in the name of MMO cheating - bots that play your character for you (while you pay the monthly subscription, right?), taking advantages of glitches to fuck over other people, killing friends and willing victims for point ups... I'm just not sure exactly why these people bother playing games, I mean why not just go, like, become competitive in the real world?

I want to make a quick note down at the bottom that I am aware of how many gals take part in MMORPGs and that they account for a huge percentage of the girly gamer population and I don't fault them for finding a cool outlet to rock it out as chicks against the dude establishment. I still have love for all girl gamers and would certainly enjoy discussing the merits of these games... as long as I don't have to hang out in your mom's basement! Burn! :D

Cheaters: A Special Report

No comments: