Wednesday, October 22, 2008

another good profile of cool gamer chicks and why they rock

I wish I had thought of the Nintendo World Store as a birthday destination when I was 16 (unless of course it didn't exist when I was 16... old). This article is a fun read about the rise of game-playing gals and why they are awesome. I appreciate the point about demeaning and stereotype-reinforcing games that are released "just for girls", and I equally appreciate the 16-year old sheepishly admitting that she does sometimes play Cooking Mama. Gina, I will see your Cooking Mama and raise you one Spice World, circa 1998. That game was fun.

[Gina] Sutton, in New York to celebrate her sweet 16 at the Nintendo World Store on September 12, said games that focused on cooking, fashion and babysitting were demeaning. Some of her favorite games are cartoon fighting game Super Smash Bros., racecar game Mario Kart and farm simulation game Harvest Moon.

"But I'm a little guilty of playing Cooking Momma, so I shouldn't judge," she said.

Hand over the controller, girl gamers say

No comments: