Thursday, July 16, 2009

spore galactic adventures falls short

I have yet to pick up the Spore expansion Galactic Adventures for the PC and I'm beginning to think I probably am not going to. I enjoyed playing Spore for awhile and felt that it could surely use some new gameplay infusion that could come from a successful first EP for this franchise. Sadly, it sounds like Galactic Adventures is really best taken as a toolset of level design and game content creation, while its actual gameplay leaves much to be desired. This reviewer even calls it a series of mildly amusing minigames, which is never a very good description of what could have been an adventure-RPG-style game with deep potential. Sounds like if you like the level creation aspect of the game it might be a worthwhile pickup but that its shortcomings elsewhere really bring it down:
Nothing is essentially wrong with charging good money for a virtual tool kit. Yet the environments in Galactic Adventures cannot sustain the basic suspension of disbelief required to care about any digital construct. Common logic suggests that when a wall, a building or some other “solid” stands between two creatures, you can’t just shoot or move through it. In Galactic Adventures you can. I found myself jumping into the middle of supposedly solid structures and then shooting through the walls at foes who couldn’t see me, not a few times but over and over.
Video Game Review: Role-Playing At Warp Speed In A Galaxy Darwin Never Imagined

1 comment:

Spite (YAY) said...

A few months ago, I really wanted the Spore game. I got it, and installed it. I had to leave my computer for several hours. When I played it, it said my graphics card wasn't good enough.

Now I'm having second thoughts about buying it, everyone I've asked that had it said it got boring after so long.

I'm not looking for endless:
"Oh no, the (creature name here)s are being attacked, help them" or
"Quick, save the (creature name here)s"

So, I don't think I'll get another graphics card, unless I need it for Sims 3 (I am a MEGA SIMS FAN!)

From Neon Sea (Just loves typing)