Tuesday, July 7, 2009

used games helping gamers spend less

There are many expenses in my life that I have chosen to be more frugal with than I am with my video game spending. Still, I will admit that the prospect of buying used games has become more and more appealing to me, and apparently to a lot of other people judging by the kind of record numbers GameStop has posted this year thanks to used game sales. Some people are worried that the used game market is negatively affecting sales of new games on market, which is unfortunately probably the truth. Still, a video game is enough of an investment that most gamers want to make sure they get their money's worth, and game developers haven't exactly been delivering 100% amazing games that are worth their new retail price on shelves. For me, GameStop's policy of allowing used games to be returned within a week if you don't like them makes buying used games a win-win situation. I get to save money and make sure I like a game while GameStop profits on a copy of a game most likely sold at least once or twice already and destined for more if I trade it back to them afterwards. I think used game sales should be a wake-up call to game developers and publishers to start making games that fly off the shelves new and stay in people's collections longer than a week!

Video-game players take a shot at being frugal

No comments: