Saturday, April 4, 2009

sony's response to the dsi

I don't usually post on weekends nor do I make it a habit of posting after imbibing alcohol but I just can't help myself tonight! I worked a late night setting up our store for the DSi launch and while I can't say I have a DSi reserved for myself, nor do I see anything super innovative from the DSi - I mean, I have a DS Lite, an excellent digital camera and an iPod - they're still kind of cool with some new features. I don't think I need one. Still, if I were the PR person for a major competitor (*cough* Sony *cough*) I'm not sure I would have gone to these lengths:
If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the "kids" market that they've always engaged, there isn't much new with the DSi to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm, and we're also planning a steady stream of downloadable games -- both new titles and PSone classics -- to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store.

No comments: