Thursday, January 15, 2009

ubisoft hearts little girl gamers

If you've been in a game store and browsed the DS section recently you surely have noticed Ubisoft's new line of Imagine games aimed at young girls. Movie Star, Rock Star, Teacher, and most popular, Fashion Designer, and more to come I'm sure. Of course some people are concerned about the gender-specific message these games are sending little girls that play them but I agree with the argument about the difference in what boys and girls want out of their gaming experience. Boys like blowing stuff up, girls like creating and customizing. Whether it is with animals, clothes or whatever, little girls like making stuff and sharing it. I only wish the DS had existed when I was young enough to enjoy all the horse games and other animal-related DS games out there. I probably would have even been interested in Fashion Designer - I know my boyfriend's little cousin basically hasn't put hers down since getting it for Christmas. Personally I'm all for anything that encourages girls to think about careers of any sort and get them working creatively from a young age. I will say that Ubisoft should get some sports-related girl games out there, or some more boy-themed Imagine games to balance out the girly ones. And I don't have much love for the ones about babies.

No comments: