Tuesday, December 2, 2008

professor layton & the curious village

I'm seriously loving my DS so far and am on the lookout for great games to try, the first of which has been Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Billed as a 'point-and-click adventure', the point is to solve a series of brainteaser puzzles that advance you through the plotline. Games like this are totally up my alley and the 2-D point-and-click nature of it really reminds me of old favorites like Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. Professor Layton is also a great game just to look at as it incorporates a simple anime-type style of characters into a landscape with beautiful muted coloring and artful scenery. The music has been enjoyable as well and of course the best part are the puzzles. I am a lifelong puzzle enthusiast and can boast proudly of my Scrabble champion father and crossword-puzzle-writing (including for the New York Times) grandfather. I've felt sufficiently challenged by many of them so far and the way it lets you answer after having submitted incorrect answers for a reduced point prize is an infuriating motivator to check your answers and think through each puzzle completely. This is a great game to try if you see the DS as an opportunity for brain exercise rather than just pure gaming (or to feed your Pokemon addiction).

No comments: