Wednesday, March 3, 2010

worst videogame movie ideas yet

There have been some real stinkers out there** when it comes to video games getting turned into major Hollywood movies these days but I have to say I don't think I've heard a worse idea yet than this one: Space Invaders is going to be a movie. Yes, Space Invaders, where you run back and forth trying to avoid getting hit with little pixel-bombs from invading alien ships in neat columns above you. Apparently Warner Brothers is trying to get the rights to the game in order to get this project into development. Can someone please tell me how this translates into a movie? I mean, I guess it could be like, any movie you want it to be really but it just seems kind of silly and specific. They should go in the direction that Futurama took it with Fry playing Space Invaders to do battle against actual space invaders. "Instead of shooting where I was, you should have shot where I was going to be!" Of course old games certainly tap into the hearts and minds of gamers that grew up with black and white 2D simplest-of-animations games, so maybe this movie will be a runaway hit... Have a hankering for some space invading? Play Space Invaders online for free!

Dumbest part of this story? The article below mentions that Asteroids also might become a movie. Asteroids!!! Has there ever been a game with less substance??


**note that three of the four stinkers mentioned are Uwe Boll creations. Keep up the good work, Mr. Boll!

1 comment:

CaptainD said...

Hmm... a game based on Asteroids... that wouldn't be so bad, after all Armageddon and Deep Impact were movies about only one asteroid weren't they??! :-D

I actually think there are worse video game to movie ideas. Pong, Kaboom, Collapse, Columns, Tetris...