Sunday, October 25, 2009

cool iphone puzzle app to check out

When I first got my iPhone I was like, "nah, I'm not gonna play games on it. Cellphone games are stupid." Fast-forward to now, and I have several totally awesome game apps installed on my lovely 3GS. The first I got was I Love Katamari, which got much play despite being insanely hard due to the tilt controls. More recently I got totally addicted to EA's Clue, which, though its gameplay is a departure from the classic board game, is a really fun and well-made app game that has in my opinion pretty infinite replay value. Lately I wanted to fill a couple of empty spots in my app selection and so I expanded my game-app library, adding Dots, Checkers, Beirut/Beer Pong (not as fun as it might sound; watching an animation of drinking a beer is just not the same as the real thing) and a really tight, beautifully animated Wooden Labyrinth 3D puzzle game. This labyrinth game is one of the best uses of the iPhone's tilt mechanism I've seen so far - the puzzle is simple enough that any little tilt alters the view and (obvs) affects the way your ball will roll. The free/lite version shows you an ad every few levels that you can skip right through so it's totally worth it. It's not super new but it's currently in the Top 25 freebie apps so it's easy to find. Check it out, fellow iPhone addicts!

3 comments:

Wayward said...

Hey Em, Nice blog.

I was totally converted to mobile gaming on the iphone. The best games tend to be ones that take advantage of the system - like those tilt games. My favourite tjpigj is Zenonia which is pretty much a full size SNES rpg.

Nick K said...

A free version of a similar game came with my Android. It was mega fun for a while but I exhausted the included levels pretty quickly, at which point you have to pay for an upgrade. I thought it was a great idea to include it on the phone to show off what the tilt can do.

Not a game, but another stunner when it comes to tilt is the Google Sky Map, for identifying heavenly bodies.

Webomatica said...

Yeah... totally in the same boat, I got the iPhone just expecting to use it for email and web browsing and got hooked on these games also. If I could recommend some to try: Drop7, Crosswords, GeoDefense, Meteor Blitz, and Spider.