Thursday, May 7, 2009

megan's law for gamer tags?

A new bill under consideration in Texas could require convicted sex offenders to register online usernames on gaming communities such as Xbox Live and the Playstation Network. The idea is that these are channels often abused for unsavory reasons and gamertags certainly do provide the user with a level of privacy online. Considering the one time I thought I was being mildly harrassed on Xbox Live it turned out to be a close friend of mine (I'm a little slow sometimes) I don't have much experience with this issue. However, I have no problem with it whatsoever. People get a little ridiculous in online communities and it seems like just like a chat room it has the potential for leading to bad situations. It's not like they should be banned from using the services but Microsoft should have a list of gamertags related to persons with convicted sex offenses in my opinion for sure. Anyone feel passionately about this one way or the other?

No comments: